Thursday, January 19, 2006

How to Live in a Civilized Way in New York City: Through Much Effort and Failure

So here's the update ...

After the Community Board meeting, I have been calling the Department of Consumer Affairs that handle the public hearings for cafe licenses. I also attended my CB's transportation committee meeting (only could make it to the beginning - had an anniversary with my significant other) and handed my letter of complaint to the chair, Andrew Albert, who's happens to be on the MTA board. He complained that I was not going to be able to discuss the letter, but that he would read it at the meeting. Andrew then recommended that I call the Josh Bocian at the Councilperson's office, and attend the public hearing at the Department of Consumer Affairs. He said that this hearing was the last chance I had to bring my opinion and get the license rejected.

I had no idea what happened, until today. After calling every week for the past month and being told no hearing had been scheduled, the scheduler at the DCA told me that the hearing happened on September 27th - before the community board meeting I attended!

So the license got approved, but is only valid until April 2007, which means that I can't contest it again until next year.

So until then, I'm going to continue living in my partner's place - I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this tiny bar's obnoxious noise for now. But I want to try and take down the cafe licenses of all these bars on my block when they expire next year. Who's with me?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker